Thursday, January 16, 2014

Trend Watch~{Knitting Scarves +OOTD!}

Knitting is not just for "seasoned"(there is no easy or polite way to say older people without appearing offensive--please forgive!) people anymore! It has become a very trendy and hip hobby. I tried knitting a few years ago when scarves were really only an outside/winter weather accessory and not the fashion accessory they have become. I decided to pick it all back up again when my mom showed me a few projects she was working on over the holidays. She taught me a new stitch called the seed or moss stitch. It is a bit more involved then just your basic knitting stitch but the results are wonderful. It took me about five hours (and a few movies) to knit this gorgeous butterscotch scarf. I cannot believe the attention this scarf has garnished! I am so ready to crank out a few more in some colors that I need to add to my collection! It acts as the perfect pop of color to this otherwise neutral outfit. Check out some of my favorite knitting resources after the pic!
Cardigan: Forever 21
Tank: Old Navy
Pants: Target (leather stripe down the side)
Watch: Michael Kors
Boots: BOC at Herberger's 

KNITTING KNOW-HOW

1. The best yarn to use for this chunky, warm scarf is by Lion Brand. It is their Thick and Quick wool blend. You can order it online or find it in JoAnn's and Michael's stores. I use my coupons to get a good deal. The scarf takes one and a half skeins to complete. 

2. My mom found the pattern for this scarf HERE. The scarf ends up being five feet long and makes a large double loop around my neck.   It calls for 17" knitting needles. These are also pretty cheap and can be found at any craft store. (She does offer a shorter, cowl version HERE but it is crochet.)

3. Need to know how to "cast on?" Need to know how to do a basic stitch? Check out Knitting Help  for great tutorials! 

4. I certainly made mistakes on my first scarf. In the beginning my mom was there to help me fix my mistakes. When she left I kind of panicked! What if I made a mistake? Would all my work be for naught? Well, I did make a mistake(s) and this YouTube playlist helped a ton! 

Please let us know if you knit yourself one of these babies! 




No comments: