Thursday, June 6, 2013

Fashion Foundation: How to build a wardrobe of essentials! {TOPS}

Every woman's closet is distinctly different. Different favorites. Different essentials. Different style. We all have our own sense of personal style and our own definition of what style even means. However, I believe we can all build our own style on a similar foundation of wardrobe essentials. Over the next couple of weeks, we are going to share posts about certain pieces that belong in every closet. Pieces that can be built off of and styled many different ways by each one of us. We in no way think everyone should own each of these pieces but I do think they are great starting points for great outfits. They also will help alleviate the "closet death stare" when you absolutely cannot find ANYTHING to wear. Anybody feeling me here? We are going to start with the 6 TOP/SHIRTS foundation pieces. Comment and share what you think should be added to the list!




1. White and Chambray button up
These are my go-to-pieces for just about anything. I use them under sweaters, over tanks, and alone and it all WORKS. They have no season and can be used in warm and cold months. A light chambray shade goes with just about anything but I have a dark wash one as well. Start with a shade that you love and add others over time. Roll the sleeves and rock it!

2. Basic T's
Start with black and white T's....and then add more neutrals over time. Some people would say you need tanks, and T's, and long sleeves but I think it all depends on your climate and your layering preferences. I really don't care for long sleeves T's because I tend to layer with a blazer or a cardigan and long sleeves get bunchy and drive me crazy. I'm a T and tank kind of girl. Add a oatmeal one and a gray one over time and you will have the foundation for just about any outfit.

3. Basic Tanks
I hate when people repeat themselves so I won't. See my rambling reasons above regarding basic T's and you'll get the idea for tanks too. Make sure you find a neckline that you are comfortable with and buy several colors of the same brand. I also like to buy mine a bit on the long side for layering with leggings. (BTW-- I often repurchase white T's and tanks each year...they can look dingy after a year of use and a new one is a better option.)

4. Stripes and Polka dots
I am obsessed with these two patterns and I find they can really make an outfit POP! Mixing these patterns is totally okay as well. Find a basic stripe and dot with a neutral background and it will become your fashion best friend. Throw on a bold colored cardigan or blazer and your outfit is practically set!

5. Texture and Color
Every wardrobe needs a few loud and colorful pieces to throw on when life gets dreary. So many people say, "I just can't wear 'that' color" or "You can wear that color but I could never pull it off." My answer is....just do it. Find 2-3 colors that look great with your skin tone and rotate them through your outfits. And while your at it, buy tops with interesting fabric draping or lace accents. Even with just a pair of jeans, these bold, detailed tops can make you look fancy and pulled together. If the color scares you a bit, throw a neutral cardigan over it to tone it down a tiny, teeny bit.

6. Animal Print
I love me some animal print...zebra....cheetah....bring it! I truly believe an animal print T or blouse is a fashion foundation piece. You can stay neutral with your pants and outer layer, but if you've thrown in a cheetah print top you have a winner! Keep the animal print simple and classy and it will be a wardrobe workhorse for you.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

just discovered your blog through a link up with audrey at putting me together and i am hooked! you have such great advice and affordable options. love it! thank you!

emangel said...

Audrey and the link up rocks! So glad you found us. We love fashion but are super frugal. We are going to get along great!