Sunday, June 16, 2013

Six Ways to Style....a black maxi skirt!

We have loved the black maxi skirt/dress trend for going on three seasons now. My mom made (I know--awesome right?) each of us one two summers ago and we have been styling them up ever since. This is an extremely versatile wardrobe piece that looks good on just about any shape. Throw in that wearing this skirt is more comfortable than just about anything else means you cannot say no to this steady trend. Belts are awesome with a black maxi and the bigger the better. Experiment with us!

Our black maxis were handmade but you can find some great ones here!
Charlotte Russe   JC Penney   Target

1. The Stripes Have It
Add some color to the top of your black maxi and it creates some varied interest. I pulled the orange from the stripes and accented with my stellar orange statement necklace (LOVE!) My skirt can be a little long but these wedges give me just enough height to bring the skirt off the floor. The leather jacket gives an edgy vibe to the otherwise feminine skirt.

Top: TJ Maxx
Jacket: Marshall's
Shoes: Target
Necklace: Francesca's Collection

2. Chevron Obsession
This time I layered a black tank with a very flowy, lightweight chevron button-up. The belt makes sure my waist doesn't get lost in all the flowiness... This is the perfect outfit for a warm day that still needs a bit of a cover up.

Tank: Old Navy
Belt: Boutique
Top: Rue21
Flats: Buckle
Necklace: F21

3. Belt It Out
A belt is a great way to pull it in at the waist. (Stay tune for future posts on belts, and how to wear them.) I found this great thick, elastic belt and it gives a sophisticated touch to this look. Not to mention, it's ELASTIC and super comfy! Red is the perfect accent for a crisp color contrast with the black and white. The polka-dot cardigan gives just the right amount of texture and the necklace finishes it off. What more can I say? Done and Done.

Tank: Target
Cardigan: Target
Belt: Good Will $2.99!
Flats: Target
Necklace: Target
I guess Target was the place this time...

4. Tank You Very Much
This is my simplest and most favorite maxi outfit. I wear it out shopping, to parties, wherever and it simply works. I adore the brown belt with the black maxi so I threw in some brown shoes as well. It would be perfect with a cardigan or blazer for cool days too.

Tank: Old Navy
Belt: The Limited
Shoes: Born at Von Maur
Necklace: F21


5. Ruffle Me Up
I saw this leather jacket and fell in love instantly. I am constantly trying to find outfits to pair it with. This army green color goes great with black. I chose a more causal gray T to go under to "dress it down". (a more casual look as apposed to dressing it up for a more dressy look) The layered necklace gives just the right amount of detail without getting too fancy.

T shirt: Target
Jacket: Marshalls
Sandals: NY & Co.
Necklaces: Cookie Lee & Lia Sophia

6. You A-Maize Me
Love stripes! I bought this great black and cream striped tank, and found that I can use it as a neutral (Remember our Fashion Foundation TOPS post?!). It goes with so many different looks. It has a great lace detail on the back, super cute! Keep your eyes open for it in our new Outfit Of The Day (OOTD) posts, it will make regular appearances I'm sure. This leather khaki jacket and the leather braided belt tie it all together.

Tank: Nordstrom Rack
Jacket: Gap
Belt: Old Navy
Flats: Target
Necklace: Target

Check out Putting Me Together's One Piece Different Ways! 


16 comments:

Style Journey said...

This is great inspiration! I have a black maxi skirt and very rarely wear it. It seems so hard to style for some reason, but you have made it look so easy! Heather

Ali Burtt said...

This is so cute! I love that your mom made the skirt. BTW, I found you via the Putting Me Together link party!

Sandy a la Mode said...

you styled it in sooo many ways, nice!!

xo,
Sandy
Sandy a la Mode

Anne said...

So many things you can do with a skirt like this! Love #4 for a casual summer day.

Aubree said...

Great job! I love all of the layering! The last outfit is my favorite.

Aubree
look.feel.be

Holly said...

Thanks! I was the same way at first, then I started diggin through my closet... and my partner in crime, Emily's.
Holly

Holly said...

Thanks for taking a minute and checking us out! Your site is super cute, too!

Holly

Holly said...

Thank you! We have a lot of fun creating new ways to wear items! BTW, you have a ton of great ideas on your site! I loved it!

Holly

Holly said...

Emily's Mom made us some skirts in a few different colors, so it's super eays to use a number of color combos for this look! Not to mention it's SUPER comfy!!

Holly

Holly said...

We just posted a blog on wearing black and brown together. It's one of my favorite color combos! BTW, Em and I both love your site! You are so creative, but keep it so simple. Perfect!

Unknown said...

i love all of these outfits! great job on mix and matching... my favorite is outfit # 5 :)

visiting from putting me together link up... i did a one top six ways outfit post as well! :)
rhea @ rheaetcetera.com

Anonymous said...

love it with the white tank!

Carly said...

Great outfits! I could make myself a black maxi pretty easily...hmmm...I think I need to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

Brynn said...

This is great! I have a black maxi skirt that is super comfortable, but I haven't worn it much. I think I needed some inspiration, and this gave me just the boost that I needed! I'll try to bring it out on the blog this week :)

brynnash.blogspot.com

Ashley @TheCreamToMyCoffee said...

This is such a great post! I have a black maxi dress and I swear - it goes with everything! I think your last look is my favorite, but really they are all so cute!

Lauren @ Exploring My Style said...

I have a grey maxi that I find hard to style. Yours have given me a number of great ideas. Thanks!

Lauren
My One Piece Many Ways Post