Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Fashion Foundation: {Accessories}

Accessories can be a dream or a nightmare if you are just building your fashion foundation. They can be extremely trendy and impossible to keep up with. This post will guide you to purchasing foundational pieces that will survive trends and help you finish off each and every outfit you create.

One thought before you go out and purchase that perfect accessory--because they are so trendy we rarely spend very much on accessories. Spend a small amount each season and you won't feel bad when a new trend comes along in the next season. Over time you will learn which pieces you love and are timeless...then spend a bit more to get a piece that will last.

FYI: We by no means want you to throw on one (or seven) of each of the items listed here. TIP: Put on the accessories that you wish to wear for the day. Stand in front of a mirror. Do a quick twirl all the way around (go ahead--you'll love it!). Whichever accessory catches your eye as you look in the mirror after your twirl, probably needs to go. If no one piece jumps out at you, you are probably good to go! Happy accessorizing!

1. Necklaces (Example)
You are talking with a girls who LOVE long necklaces. If I'm wearing a shorter necklace it is probably a statement one, not a simple one. There is just something about a long silver necklace with a pendant that completes an outfit. It can take a t-shirt from casual to chic in 2 seconds flat. We recommend owning a long silver necklace and a long gold necklace. Choose ones with versatile pendants or accents that will go with many of your tops. If you are really into necklaces and love to wear the latest trends, buy some from Forever 21--they are cheap (in more ways than one I'm afraid) but will most likely last you through the trend without making you break the bank. My favorite length is 24"-30". Check out the diagram below to see what lengths will work for you.



2. Statement Necklaces (Example)
These are BIG right now--literally and figuratively! They come in bubble styles, fan styles, tear drop styles, etc. You can have so much fun with these babies. They are a perfect way to add color and pop to any outfit. Purchase a few in basic neutral colors to begin with. If you are really feeling the statement necklace trend, be bold and grab a few in some exotic hues! The difference these accessories can make for an outfit is...well... BIG!

3. Bracelets (lots of them!) (Example)
Take a look at our bracelet post to get a little background on how we feel about bracelets. Then...get stacking. Bracelets need a buddy. Stack them with your watch. Stack them with 6 other bracelets. The stacked look is such a classy way to accessorize. OR you could make your own statement ones and let one bracelet carry the load. Either way, invest in a few classic sets and bring your outfits up a notch or two or three or seven!

4. Statement Ring (Example--want this!)
Maybe its because I teach and talk with my hands on a daily basis, but I love popping a statement ring on one of my fingers. It's a simple way to pull color from your outfit and wear it away from your torso. I own about 6 rings in gold, silver, and some of my favorite hues. When I am not in a bracelet mood, I often lean towards putting a ring on it!

5. Hoop Earrings (Example)
I own hoop earrings in all shapes and sizes. They add that final touch to my hairstyle AND outfit that I just adore. Now I completely understand if you are knee deep in babies and toddlers and hoop earrings are just going to be the reason somebody ends up crying. So, any classic gold or silver earrings that add any kind of statement above the neck will do. Many women I talk to have simply gotten out of the habit of wearing earrings and don't own any foundational pairs that can be worn day in and day out. My challenge to you is to go and buy reasonably priced hoops and try wearing them for two weeks. You'll be convinced of the hoopla, trust me.

6. Wide Belts (Example)
So many of us avoid belts because who wants to draw attention to the part (our middles) that we try so desperately to hide day after day. I used to think this ALL. THE. TIME. However, instead of trying to hide our shape, we should be accentuating our shape. We need to quit hiding underneath flowy tops (unless its paired with some ridiculously cute dark wash skinnies!) and start cinching our waists. Ladies--we are not supposed to be straight from the belt down. We are supposed to be curvy from the waist down--ya know---hourglass? Purchase a few neutral ones that have elastic in the back and you'll be set to cinch.

7. Skinny Belts (Example)
Same rant as above. I buy almost all of my skinny belts at Forever 21. They are cheap and come in every color. I often buy the same color in two sizes. One to cinch higher up on my ribcage and one to use at my waist. Check out our post on how to tie off that skinny belt with flair.

8. Scarves (Example)
Wow am I glad these have come back in style. They have single handedly changed my core body temperature in the wicked winters I have to endure. I am a sucker for anything that offers cuteness and comfiness all rolled up in pretty prints or heavy knits. You can't go wrong with an animal print and several basic neutrals. Check out this awesome video on how to tie scarves--a different look each day!

.



No comments: