Saturday, February 1, 2014

Six Ways to Style~ {A Mustard Cardigan}!

I have been in love with the color mustard (some people call it butterscotch? totally sounds better but I'm not quite sold) for several years now. It all started with the purchase of a mustard cardigan (#6 below) about three years ago from the Limited. I find myself reaching for it often as it really goes so well with so many other colors. My cardigan is light weight and has a bit of a stitching design in it. This sweater inspired me to get mustard skinnies and shoes! Grab yourself a fashion piece in this versatile hue!
Mustard Cardigans!    1  /   2   /   3

1. Belt it Off
I tried this outfit two ways--the belt around the shirt AND the cardigan and the belt just around the shirt (pictured) and  I had a hard time deciding which one I preferred. I finally went with the belt around just the shirt as I felt it would "stay" in place more than outside the cardigan. The shirt has a very drapey feel and worked perfectly with this set-up. The cream skinnies and bold statement necklace help the dots on the shirt pop. I threw on red flats for a little party for my feet! 

Cardigan: Limited
Top: Ann Taylor
Pants: Old Navy
Necklace: Groopdealz
Flats: Target
Belt: Target

2. Animal Print
This tank is a cool olive tone on the top layer with a sparkly, sequined bronze layer underneath. It really catches the light and shines! I went monochromatic with the pants and let the cardigan carry most of the color payoff. This mustard cardigan looks fabulous with neutral colors. 

Tank: Limited
Pants: Old Navy
Necklace: Premier
Shoes: Target

3. Contrast Color
I think this is quite possibly my favorite mustard color combo. Man it just WORKS with turquoise. It helps that this top is one of my all time faves in my closest. It's by Lauren Conrad for Kohls and simply has the nicest neckline, shape, and drape to it. Plus it's turquoise which is my favorite color. (How many times can I say favorite people?) Paired with some skinny kick jeans from AE and cognac pumps I think the outfit speaks for itself! 

Top: Kohl's
Jeans: American Eagle
Shoes: Andrew Gellar DSW
Necklace: Origami Owl
Watch: Michael Kors

4. Graphic Casual
Navy is another great neutral that looks great against this mustard sweater. I chose my anchor T and some coated navy skinnies to pair with the cardi. I can't leave the house without a scarf and I happen to have a new, homemade navy one! Throw in a little bling with some gold sequined flats and you can look comfy, cute, and sassy all at the same time. 

Scarf: Homemade
Tee: Limited
Pants: Old Navy
Shoes: Target

5. Chambray
A chambray button up is a perfect layering piece underneath a cardigan. Roll the cuffs up and over the cardigan sleeves and you look effortlessly chic. Adding another bold hue on the bottom with some wine skinnies (really hard to see here--sorry) lets you be bold and basic at once. I matched my top and bottom by adding mustard flats. 

Chambray: Old Navy
Skinnies: Limited
Flats: Target

6. Dress It Up
This outfit is the whole reason the mustard obsession started. This exact outfit was at the Limited on a mannequin. I went backed to the store like 5 times waiting for regular prices to go 40% off....and they did. The shirt is beautiful and iridescent and can be worn with some many neutral bottoms. I chose some dressy gray slacks and high heeled booties. This is a perfect outfit for me at work and I sport it often! Thank you mustard cardi for being so reliable! 

Top: Limited
Pants: NY & Co. 
Necklace: Herberger's 
Shoes: Old

1 comment:

Katlyn said...

I pulled off #3 yesterday! I'm in luuuuuuve with the anchor shirt in #4 & the shirt in #6!