Monday, February 24, 2014

Beauty Bite {Brush Cleaning}

Not so long ago I recommended a Sigma brush for applying liquid foundation. Check the post out here if you haven't read it yet. I have even since purchased another Sigma brush for my concealer that I love as well. I still adore both the brushes but have been experiencing a strained relationship with them since I discovered how often they needed to be cleaned. I used to be a sponge applicator user for my foundation and rarely...if ever... cleaned my sponges. Once mine got gucky I would simply toss it and get a new one. One can afford to do this because sponges are cheap-o. However, I much prefer the application and finish of the F80 flat brush...and I cannot simply toss it when it gets gucky....So....I had to find a way to clean it and maintain its ability to create a flawless finish. Let me walk you through my discovery process and reward you at the end with the ultimate process I now use and adore. You're welcome for saving you tons of time trying to find the right method. Go ahead and skip to the end if you would like.

First off, my brushes BEFORE cleaning. This is what they would look like after one week of daily use. 


At this point they are pretty much useless for foundation application. The bristles are full with product and will just leave streaks at this point. In the end it IS better to wash your brushes each week. This will prevent bacteria from festering and growing...and then be given a free ride all over your face. 

1. The first thing I tried was olive oil and Dawn dish soap. This had so-so results. However, to get the so-so results I had to work so, so hard swirling and scrubbing to get the makeup to break down and leave the bristles. It was exhausting. I kept thinking I'd rather have acne. (Not really, but you know what I mean). 

2. The next thing I tried was based on a tutorial I found on line. This gal had you soak your brush in a small amount of rubbing alcohol which would help break the makeup down. Then she had you use the palm of your hand with some Dawn dish soap and keep swirling until the suds ran out and the water ran clear. This process actually worked SO WELL. My brushes looked and felt amazing. However, I felt like after each wash the bristles were becoming dryer and dryer and starting to fray out. I was not too happy. So I asked the lady at Sigma and she said....

3. To use baby shampoo and the brush cleaning mitt they sell at Sigma (for $35.00!). I said no to the mitt but was willing to try the baby shampoo. This method really did not work at all. Liquid foundation is very stubborn and I was back to scrubbing and swirling with little result...a la number one. Nope. 

So...I spent some quality time with my good friend Google and came up with the method I have stuck with and love the results. 

4. Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap--I know...I had never heard of it either. Target carries it in their Burt's Bees, Say Yes to Carrots section in the beauty aisles. This is an all natural soap that can be used for pretty much anything. Laundry, face, hair...etc. I soaked my brushes in the soap for about 10 minutes. I then did the swirling/scrubbing in the palm of my hand method for about 5 minutes. It all took minimal work and time and the result was similar to the drying alcohol. Bonus--the soap smells like peppermint! I have used this method many times now and really think I have found the one I will stick with. Side note--always dry your brushes bristles down so water does not leak back into the fennel and mess with the glue. Also--there is a difference between synthetic brushes (which my Sigma ones ARE) and natural goat hair brushes. Make sure to check your brushes before you wash them. 

AFTER:


Let me know if you have another method I should try! Or try this method and let me know what you think! 

1 comment:

Katlyn said...

Ahh! I've been doing #2 (trying to remember to do it once a week!) and it does work great - I'm excited to try #4! Can you use any of the "scents" or just peppermint?!