Friday, February 28, 2014

Hanger Rant and Rave


RANT:
Part of having a sizable and seasonal wardrobe means having to deal with hangers. No, this is not a first world problem, I get it. However, something as simple as hangers does impact my style choices on a daily basis. Why? I have never really been satisfied with how my clothes hang on your typical white, plastic hanger. There is the problem of slippage. And the problem of hanger bumps (We call them something altogether different that I won't share here. Don't ask). And the problem of closet space with all those clunky hangers. I know for a fact that I am not the only one with such issues. Even clothes manufacturers have tried to solve some of these issues. How about those utterly annoying plastic/ribbon thing-ys they put in the shoulder seams for you to "use" to keep your item on the hanger. I honestly have a love/hate relationship with these things (WHAT are they called anyway?!) I love them when they keep my cardigan on the hanger, but I HATE them when I am wearing the cardigan and trying to keep them from being visible. Ugh. Not really a solution to me. Where am I going with all of this? Well, I decided to make an investment in the hanger department. I have been spending some of my "fashion budget" on a solution to my hanger issues. By buying new hangers. Yep. Velvet/felt hangers. The benefits of this type of hanger?

RAVE!
1. They are coated in a velvety/felty finish and clothes absolutely DO NOT slide, slip, or fall off. Even if you hold the hanger and shake vigorously. Believe me, I've tried. Even tanks and skinny straps....there is a little notch on the ends for even more non-slip for these dainty items.

2. The hangers are able to curve down at the end (because slippage is not an issue) so you do not get those unsightly hanger bumps on the shoulders of your clothes.

3. The hangers are considerably thinner than the cheap plastic ones and cumulatively take up so much less space.

The only "downside?"

These hangers cost a pretty chunk more than conventional plastic hangers. At Target you can get 80 white plastic hangers for $24.99. Target sells a version of the velvet hangers--sold as Huggable hangers--48 hangers for $39.00. I have approached this by buying a set of hangers each month and slowly turning my closet over to these types a bit at a time. I have also found a set of 30 for $9.99 at Walmart and a set of 25 for $12.99 at TJ Maxx. Slowly but surely I am reaping the benefits listed above and am a hanger convert! Just wanted to spread a little hanger love with you all!



No comments: