Saturday, May 25, 2013

Six Ways to Style....NEON!

I must admit to a healthy neon obsession this season. I snagged a pair of neon green (or yellow not sure what to call them--they are WAAAY brighter than these pics even allow) boyfriend capris (#6) at Gap for $5.97 (!!) and that was all she wrote. I was hooked and made it my mission to find versatile pieces that would go with my new neon pants. It turns out that I really enjoy the color beyond my good deal pants and I have been adding neon pieces to my wardrobe this spring. I love the bright vibe they give off and I truly think the color adds a bit of a spring to my step. However, I know people can be scared of such a bold, traffic-directing hue. Even my sister wanted a pair but "not quite as bright as yours." If you want to try the trend but don't want to blind your friends, try some of the subtle versions below. Or--GO FOR IT--and rock the neon pants!

1. Say it with Stripes
If you can't bring yourself to go full, all-over-neon, find a top that uses it as a pattern, such as stripes or polka dots. This is an easy way to grab a little neon without being too over the top.

Pants: American Eagle
Flats: Old Navy
Shirt: Ann Taylor Loft
Cardigan: Old Navy
Bracelet: Gordman's
Necklace: old

2. Bright Accents
Hey, if stripes and polka dots still scream "traffic director" than pull in some neon in tiny places. This dress has a simple neon tie belt and the smallest of neon trim at the collar. Hunt for a piece like this that satisfies your trend desires but still fits within your color comfort zone.

Dress: Ann Taylor Loft
Shoes: JC Penney (Nine&Co)
Necklace: Charlotte Russe
Rings: Charlotte Russe

3. T-Shirt Details
Sometimes the key to trying out a brave color trend is to pair it with a color you are super comfy with. My FAVE color lately is navy. I grabbed some tried and true navy pieces and paired them with a tank with neon stripes. The navy kept me grounded and the neon plays a supporting role in the overall outfit.
BTW: I am obsessed with this chevron/arrow necklace from Forever 21. $3.80 people! Gah!

Cardigan: Limited
Tank: Gap
Shorts: Ann Taylor Loft
Shoes: TJ Maxx
Necklace and Bracelet: F21

4. Cardigan Comfort
This outfit steps up the neon component quite a bit. A neon piece like this cardigan is going to get noticed. Balance it out by pairing it with a calmer hue such as this turquoise dress. A little belt accent thrown in pulls it all together.

Cardigan: Limited
Dress: Old Navy
Belt: F21
Flats: Old Navy
Necklace: Charles Emerson Designs

5. Accessories Accent
You could always wear a trend simply by gathering accessories that fit the trend. This is an inexpensive way to be "trendy" so when the trend fades your investment would have been minimal. The scarf and shoes give a jumpstart to what would have been a basic white and khaki outfit.

Scarf: New York and Co
Shirt: Old Navy
Capris: Old Navy
Belt: Charlotte Russe
Flats: Old Navy

6. Pants Have It
This is taking the neon trend to a HIGH level. Bold and brassy for sure! This picture really does not fully show how bright these pants are but I could care less...I love them! I am choosing to rock this trend despite the traffic cone comparisons. Who's with me??

Pants: Gap
Shirt: Old Navy
Flats: Target

No comments: