Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sacrifice or Splurge?

Miss Holly and I are on a budget folks. We are balancing family, work, and school right along side our checkbooks. We get it. Spending money on beauty products and fashion trends can seem frivolous when you are spending money on school/college, field trips, school lunches, shelter, and just plain LIFE. However, doing the little things for yourself like getting dressed up or finding a great deal can do big stuff for your attitude and morale. We are going to give some tips on how to merge your monetary dreams and your monetary reality.

1. Set a beauty and clothing budget. 
This is actually something you all are going to hold ME accountable to. I am a very saavy, sale shopper (wow--say that 5 times fast) but too many sale items still adds up to a chunk of change. If you set an amount that you can spend in a month on beauty and clothing items (better yet--have it in cash) you will think twice about ordering a third necklace from Groopdealz! (Just say no girls!)

2. Shop the sales and clearance racks!
One of the biggest ways I save money on fashion is knowing when to shop my favorite store's sales. I sign up for emails from all my favorite stores and this keeps me in the know about good deals. For example, The Limited is a FAVE of mine but I rarely shop there unless everything (including markdowns) are an extra 40% off. Throw in earning virtual dollars and you can really score. I once bought $766.00 worth of clothing for $112 bucks using both virtual dollars and their percent sale. In addition, even my girls know to head straight to the sale racks when we enter a store. Holly is a Goodwill Genius and has come up with awesome fashion finds too. You have to be willing to browse a bit more but good finds are out there.

3. Decide which items are worth the SPLURGE and which items you can SACRIFICE on! (This is one of my biggest tips!) To sacrifice means that you are willing to sacrifice something (material, longevity, etc) in order to pay a bit less. To splurge means you are willing to spend a bit extra for some reason (use, material, longevity, etc). Check out my short (not complete) list below!



Please comment below on your SACRIFICE and SPLURGE habits! 








1 comment:

Makenzie said...

Love love love this! Some of my favorite places to get splurge worthy items on a sacrificial budget is TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Nordstroms Rack!