Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My Beauty Must-Haves

We all have those beauty items that we use EVERY day. When they run out, we make a special trip to get more. We would miss them if they were gone. Life would not be the same if they were (gasp!) discontinued. Today I am going to share a short list of a few items that play vital roles in my daily beauty routine. These products are tried and true and I stand behind each one. We each have our own hair and skin care priorities and these products reflect my own. Take the best and leave the rest!


1. Kenra 25 hairspray
 I used to be a die hard Big & Sexy Spray and Play Harder fan. However, I was noticing some residue (flakiness) in my hair after a few uses and got a little turned off. (I only wash my hair every 3 days--yes--3) I switched to Kenra 25 about a year ago and have never looked back. This is not a hairspray for the faint of heart. It has a firm hold and feels firm as well. This works for me as I want my hair (especially curls) to stay all day.

2. EOS Lip Balm
These little cuties come in about 7-8 different flavors and they all rock (mint is my fave!). The first few uses you will notice your lips "shedding" a bit due to a bit of exfoliation from the product. Pretty much from there on out your lips will feel fantastic. The balms are organic and have no wax or paraben. I'll admit-they are not the easiest things to carry around in your pocket but I could really care less. I love them!

3. Naked palette from Urban Decay
This palette is EVERYWHERE and you can watch about a million tutorials on youtube for how to use it. It is hugely popular and they even have a Naked 2 palette as well. Bottom line: a palette blessed with amazing neutral shades across a wide color spectrum that have stellar staying power. Most of the shades  (all but two--nude and buck) have a bit of shimmer. It has a steep price of 50 bucks but it could seriously be the only palette you own and you could create many, many looks with it.

4. MAC paint pots
I own two of these puppies--Bare Study and Soft Ochre. This is an excellent creme shadow and acts as a superb base to eye shadows. You barely use any at a time and my two pots have lasted for-eva!


5. Big & Sexy Root Pump
I used to complain about my heavy and thick, yet limp (at the roots) hair to my hairdresser. She told me I had two options: (1) Use some kind of root lift or volume mousse, (2) Get a good teasing comb. Well, I did both and it has made a world of difference. I think there are a few root lifters out there that I would like to try but I love Big & Sexy so much that I can't bear to change. I apply a copious amount at my roots (with the foghorn nozzle thing you can get a pretty direct shot) all over my head. Rub it in with your fingers and blow dry upside down. Voila! Instant root lift. I can even rub my roots with my fingers during the day and get a little "reactivation" when I feel my hair getting weighed down.

6. Hot Tools curling iron
I bought curling irons for YEARS at Target and Walmart and just made do. They curled my hair and with a bit of product I could make the curls last. However, it wasn't until I bought a high end straightener that I wondered what a difference heat and barrel material would make on my curls. Well folks, it makes a big difference. They usually run about 50 bucks but I held out and got my sweet pink one for $29.99 at Ulta.

7. Gel Liner
The one I have pictured here is from Clinique and is the one I return to the most often. However, I have tried other high ends ones (MAC Fluid track liner) and drugstore (Wet & Wild) and they all pretty much work the same. The precision and staying power of a gel liner is next to none. I'm not gonna lie to ya--it takes some practice to use this product well. Once its on its ON. I use short feathery strokes and simply take my time. A winged line is done perfectly with this gel liner. Two cons: (1) keep it airtight because it will dry out and then its WORTHLESS. (2) You are going to need some strong make-up remover to get this stuff off.

8. MAC Hug Me Lipstick
This may very well be the perfect lipstick. The color looks good on anybody. The texture is nearly that of a lip balm and it has a sweet smell that I'm can't quite put my finger on. I tell anyone who will listen about this lipstick. Get one. Now.

2 comments:

Katlyn said...

Okay, now I need a post about the basics for your closet! :) Ready, set, go...

emangel said...

Already in the works girl! Will be a post each week called Fashion Foundation. Tops will be up first!