Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things: {HOME/LIFE}

We all have those items or patterns that get us through our daily lives. The systems and products that simply make our lives easier and more efficient. They each may have developed over time or are a new discovery that you suddenly couldn't imagine living without. I took some time to sit down and think through my daily and weekly life as a busy teaching, blogging, photographing mom of 4 to see what items in my life are essential in helping to keep me sane or happy or BOTH. (Remember, this is a blog series on THINGS which are definitely not THE most important items that keep me truly sane and happy--such as my hubby and my kiddos). However, these items do their part in making my life hum and tick day to day. BTW~ I had a really hard time narrowing this list down. I am thinking about adding a new blog post on a frequent basis about some of my favorite home/life tips and tricks. Stay tuned!

1. Meal Planning
I mentioned a bit of my philosophy behind my need to meal plan here but I'll state it in a nutshell. It is very important to me to provide a home cooked meal for my family on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong--we are a large and busy family with many demands on our schedules. However, I believe that time spent together around the table--regardless of how short or long--is a critical factor in staying in touch with my kids and their lives. We spend so much time laughing and enjoying each other's company during our suppers together. In order to make this whole process work smoothly, I try and stick to a meal plan each week. Typically I plan out my meals and grocery shopping on Sunday afternoons using some type of organizer. I then head out and pick up everything I need for the week. Each morning I pull out anything that needs prep for that day's meal. When I get home from work there is no running to grocery store or trying to come up with a meal from nothing. This process makes cooking for my family less stressful and time consuming.

Sites for great meals:


2. Nook e-reader and app
I am a self-proclaimed book snob. Not in the way that I'll only read classic lit...I enjoyed Twilight for goodness sakes. I am a book snob in that I think everyone should love reading and devour books just like me. I teach middle school English and peddling great books to students is in my job description. If I have down time, I am reading. I used to carry around a book in my purse at all times. A friend of mine told me that I should look into getting a Nook (e-reading device). Honestly, I was appalled. Isn't there something downright magical about the smell of a new book? Its crisp pages? Wouldn't reading electronically snuff that magic out? Well, I tried it. And....LOVED it. My slim little Nook went everywhere with me and I found out I could read even more than before. In line at the Dr's office. Waiting in the carpool lane. In between sporting events. I even get my magazine subscriptions on my nook. I can even check books out digitally from my local library. I now have an iPad mini and use the Nook app on it and I wouldn't change a thing.

My Three Favorite Books from this Year


3. Rainbow Loom
Believe me when I say that my husband picked this trendy thing up BEFORE it was even trendy. He was at Michael's with our girls and they begged him to buy it. He folded and they came home with it. I didn't even know what it was and pretty much ignored their frenzy about it. Until 6 hours later when I still had not heard a PEEP out of them. They had their own little child labor sweat shop going and were cranking out bracelets left and right. I even think our 10 year old was selling them at school. We started calling it a "babysitter in a box." My girls got really in to watching YouTube tutorials on how to make different bracelets. Some of the styles they attempt are ridiculously difficult and impressive. The Rainbow Loom is being touted as THE toy of the year. Which is so cool because it isn't as much of a toy as it is a craft and engineering hobby. Get one but be prepared to find little rubber bands everywhere.

My girls' favorite YouTube Rainbow Loomers

4. Apple Devices
I use technology a ton at work and at home. My relationship with technology has been like most people--love it or hate it--depending on how its working at the moment. I have experienced far less frustration over the last 5-8 years as we have transitioned to becoming Apple/Mac users. Every device in our home is an Apple Device. From my iPhone all the way to my 27 inch desktop, I cannot recommended these products more. Virus issues are practically a non-issue and their update system is second to none. I am also fortunate enough to live near several Apple stores and their customer service has been awesome. I love the user interface of their iPad devices and am not sure what I ever did before without one! We are a Mac family through and through.

My favorite Apple device

5. Thirty-One totes
Bottom line: You can get the greatest stuff at home product parties! This is how I was introduced to the 31 product line of bags and accessories. I started out with the utility tote and eventually got the big kahuna tote too. I use them for travel and for graduate classes that I teach where I have to haul a bunch of stuff. My utility tote has so many great pockets and spots for carrying around lots of tiny needed items. They also come in gorgeous patterns that manage to match my personality perfectly. The whole site is full of tools and totes to keep you and your family uber organized.


6. Digital Scrapbooking 
I know what you are thinking...how does scrapbooking make me more efficient? It doesn't. It does, however, make memories. I am a firm believer in the power of a photograph. So much that I turned my photography hobby into a decent side business. I adore snapping pics that people will display, share, and yes--even scrapbook. It is so important to preserve your photographs (i.e. memories) in some fashion. I used to be a BIG TIME paper scrapbooker with all the papers, stickers, tools, gadgets, and embellishments. I even had an entire room in my house dedicated to the hobby. That is until the making of memories started making me crazy. I never had enough time to sit down, get all my gear out, and crank out a page or two for a scrapbook. I became miserably "behind" in all my books and pretty much lost my scrapbooking will to live. Stumbling upon digital scrapbooking saved my life. I learned that I could use technology to create the same layouts that I had painstakingly put together by hand before. The only thing I needed was my computer and some digital products. Because I didn't have to drag everything out to create one layout, I started scrapbooking way more often and completed way more layouts. I've been doing it for five years now and am a die-hard digital scrapbooker. It is important for me to preserve my family's moments and stories and I have found a way to do and stay sane at the same time.


My three favorite scrapbooking options


No comments: