Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Outfit Menu

I don't know about you but I am all about making my life easier. Balancing kids, jobs, hubbs, hobbies, and a social life is plain exhausting. I am constantly in search of ways to become more efficient in the everyday things I do. One thing that has been a HUGE help in my life is meal planning. I am willing to cook just about anything as long as I don't have to come up with WHAT to cook. I despise coming up with a menu especially while I am standing in the doorway of my pantry. Ugh. I hate it. However, when I began meal planning and actually writing down AHEAD OF TIME what we were going to eat each night for the week, the whole chore become less of, well, a chore. Since this post is not actually about meal planning head HERE to read more about ways to make meals easier on everybody.

Where is all this going? Oh yeah...meal planning got me thinking. How many times do I stand in the doorway of my closet feeling that same meal-planning-sense-of-dread when trying to come up with an outfit on the spot? Most likely I got up late, am in a rush, and my brain is either unable or unwilling to put something cute together. What do I do? Throw on the first thing that matches and call it good. Then end up with a bad case of outfit remorse the rest of the day. Hmmm, if I can plan my meals ahead of time maybe, just maybe I can plan my outfits ahead of time. Genius! I made myself a handy dandy chart (very similar to my meal planning one actually) and began planning a week's worth of outfits.


My Process:

-I do my laundry (or try to) on the weekend so I am all set up with clean clothes when I sit down to  plan my outfit menu.
-I usually plan my menu on Sunday
-I browse some fashion sites to get the creative juices flowin
-I take a gander at the weather forecast to plan for layering and shoes
-I challenge myself to come up with one really unique or different outfit--usually trying out a new color  combo or trend I have been secretly fearing!

Here is a sample of one of my menus. It was back to school this week for me and my building does not have any air conditioning. The temp the first day was 97 degrees! I definitely kept this in mind when planning my outfits!



Things I figured out in the process (I've been doing this for over a year): 

1. I have waaay more clothes then my hurried brain gives me credit for. When I actually took the time to plan my outfits it felt like my closet tripled. I had time to hunt for certain things and found "new" items in the process. I utilize my closet much better because of the menu.
2. I love looking online at my fave fashion blogs for inspiration and making my outfit menu allowed me the excuse to make time to do this.
3. I kept hold of past outfit menus and I could see when the last time I had worn a shirt, pants, or entire outfit.
4. This outfit plan makes my mornings so so so much better because I am not wasting time searching for something to wear.
5. I didn't always stick to exactly what I had planned but because it WAS planned, it was easier to be spontaneous and make a quick switch.
6. I need to do a closet inventory. I wish I had a list of all my stuff. I've done a little research and found some apps that could make this happen. Will keep you posted.

Are you up for the challenge? Click on the link below and download a copy of my weekly outfit menu. Please let me know how it works for you.

Tutor My Style's Weekly Outfit Menu 

Let us know in the comments what you think of planning your outfits "menu" style! 

2 comments:

Brynn said...

I do something very similar to this, but I use an Excel spreadsheet! I've been planning and tracking my outfits for nearly a year and a half now, and it's been awesome! I can search and see different ways I've worn certain pieces, plan outfits for special events/occasions, etc. It's a great way to organize your closet, too!!

brynnash.blogspot.com

emangel said...

Love it Brynn! Thanks for sharing!