Thursday, August 29, 2013

Fashion Foundation: {Outer Layers}

Part three in our Fashion Foundation series! Check out our FF Tops and FF Bottoms posts too!

Layering is one of my favorite go-to fashion strategies. There is just something about an outer layer (or two!) that simply finishes off an outfit. The awesome thing about outer layers too is their versatility. A really good set of outer layer pieces can be mixed and matched to create dozens of outfits. We have linked examples of each piece this time--everything from Target and under 50 bucks! Whoo hoo! I cannot wait to show you at the end of our FF posts some outfits we have put together using only our FF pieces! Coming soon!

1. Blazers (Example)
Gone are the heavy shoulder padded blazers of the 80's folks. Today's blazers come in several cuts, lengths, and hues. I personally like my blazer to have a few darts in just the right places to give off slimming benefits. I cannot live without my boyfriend cut black blazer and often throw it over an outfit to give it that little extra BAM! I suggest owning a black blazer, a colored one that mixes well with your tops, and a blazer with a stripe. These three can be rotated beautifully--and add major options to your overall wardrobe.

2. Leather Jackets (Example)
These are not intended to act as weather related accessories but the beauty of them is that they DO! How great is it that they can provide warmth and style at the same time?! Look for leather jackets in neutral hues with feminine accents like ruffles or quilting. These accents keep the piece from looking too masculine. Leather jackets are perfect for layering over flowy tops or fitted shirts. Nail it big time by pairing a leather jacket over something super feminine like a lacey top.

3. and 4. Cardigans (Example) (Example)
I feel like such a crazy person when it comes to cardigans. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them for layering and have WAY too many. Granted I am a super sale shopper but my cardigan count is a bit out of control. I can't even type it here for fear that my husband with will read this and have an aneurysm. Anyway--cardigans are essential for layering purposes. We recommend a set of neutral cardigans, several pops of color, and for sure an animal print or two. Try and find cardigans with small details and embellishments such as sequins or lace. You will not regret having this foundation piece ever!

5. Jean Jacket (Example)
I wish I could say you could recycle your old denim jacket from days gone by but the answer is no. The denim jackets you can find now have so many things going for them. Find one that has a slightly  distressed tone and fitted shape. You can seriously throw this over dresses, flowy tops, fitted tops, anything. Work it in as a foundation piece to your outfits! (Side note--I use my chambray button up from the FF tops post just like a jean jacket but for warmer environments)

Are there other pieces that you HAVE TO have when it comes to outer layers? Share in the comments!

Next Fashion Foundation Post: Shoes!! 



No comments: