Saturday, December 14, 2013

Six Ways to Style~{Cream Skinnies!}

You know that old rule about not wearing white after Labor Day? Well, I have heard rumblings that this rule is no longer valid. Still, I tend not to wear white where I live because we have so much snow that I would blend right in with the scenery. Not something I love to do. However, I have discovered a white option that I actually adore...winter white or cream. I picked up some cream skinnies at Old Navy for 5 bucks (yep) on clearance and was determined to make them work in the winter months. I have been very deliberate about styling them and wearing them once a week. Thought I would share a few outfits with you here! (I'm not in love with the dark pics but the sun is already setting by the time I get home and there is no good light to be found! A tad depressing, yes.)

Get your hands on some cream skinnies!

1. Boots Baby!
Skinny jeans, boots, and a scarf are pretty much my go-to staples for the winter season. I like being warm--especially my neck and feet. The cream skinnies offer a nice light middle tone to the whole neutral outfit. The studs on the boots give it a little extra kick! 

Sweater: American Eagle (old)
Scarf: Old Navy (similar)
Boots: Bare Trap (Herberger's) similar

2. Graphic Goodness
I luuurve this graphic sweater. Yes, I get TONS of "What does the fox say?" comments, but I don't care. Aren't his pink glasses so hipster? I love sporting my sparkly pink flats with this sweater too. I kind of let the sweater do the talking and don't accessorize this look very much. I will add a chambray shirt underneath the sweater for an extra layer if needed. 

Sweater: Old Navy (out of stock :)
Shoes: Target (similar)

3. Layers and Lace
The great thing about this ultra-neutral pants is that you can go pretty crazy with colors on the top as a perfect balance. I am all about layers in the winter so I adore the cardigan/blazer combination. The lace bottom layer gives the whole look a very feminine feel. Just to be safe I would wear my Bogs to school and then put on my uber cute cognac heels to finish the look off. 

Blazer: The Limited (similar)
Cardigan: The Limited
T-shirt: The Limited (similar)
Shoes: DSW

4. Print-y Fancy
When your bottom half is very neutral, it is the perfect time to rock a bold animal print. This print is much bolder than the pic shows--the main color is an electric blue and it POPS! Add on the sequined cardigan and the whole outfit screams fancy pants!

Cardigan: NY&Co (similar)
Top: Banana Republic
Shoes: Herberger's (old)

5. Please Embellish
The running theme here is that because the bottoms are very neutral and basic, you can pretty much spice it up on the top and your outfit will be perfectly balanced. I love this beaded/sequined tank but often feel like it is pretty busy for some looks. It pairs perfectly with the cream skinnies though and the leather jacket adds the perfect outer layer. I pulled the color of the jacket in with some cute buckle flats. 

Jacket: TJ Maxx
Shirt: Eddie Bauer (similar)
Shoes: Von Maur

6. Puffy Perfection 
My main fashion purpose during the winter season is to stay warm and cozy. I hate being chilled and will wear several layers so I have lots of temperature options. One of my favorite outer layers is a puffy vest. It is a very casual look that packs tons of comfort and warmth. I paired it with my favorite new plaid button up--very trendy right now-- and some hiking-esque boots. Perfect outfit for running around buying Christmas gifts! 

Vest: Gap
Shirt: American Eagle (similar)
Shoes: Kohl's 

No comments: