Saturday, August 30, 2014

Back to School Basics for Teachers

Back to School Basics

Back to School Basics by embellishedangel


Part of the initial reason why I started this little fashion blog was to share some teacher wardrobe inspiration with my two teacher nieces. As teachers, we must be appropriately dressed each and every day and being fashion forward and functional can be a bit of task. Not to mention that we don't want to spend loads of cash on our staples either. I'm going to share a few items that show up in my outfit choices week after week as I work my teacher closet. 

1. Basic pencil skirt: This is a perfect skirt option for teachers as it is a great length and fit for the rigors of a teaching day. I recommend getting one in a basic neutral (black, navy, gray, or tan) and you will be pleasantly surprised at its versatility. This type of skirt also looks great with nearly every shoe type....flats, heels, boots....go for it! 

2. Fitted neutral blazer: If your school is anything like mine, the temperature in the building can be a bit unpredictable. Mine even changes from one hallway to the next. I adore my neutral blazers and have one tagging along with me to school every day--especially in the tricky fall and spring seasons. Blazers also add a perfect professional vibe to any outfit.

3. Dark denim skinnies: Some schools have rules about wearing denim. Whether you can wear them on Fridays, workshop days, or any day, having a dark wash skinny is a must. The dark wash makes them look less like jeans and more like trousers. The skinny fit should be appropriate and match the overall dress vibe of your school setting. Throw the blazer mentioned in #2 with these puppies and you can get away with jeans more than you think. 

4. Floral Print: My favorite trend for fall are the bold floral patterns. However, I am having the hardest time investing in a large floral fashion piece like a top or dress. Yet, I have loved adding it in my accessories. I snagged a floral scarf at Charlotte Russe and have been throwing it over so many tops! The florals add a perfect feminine touch that is needed sometimes. 

5. Flats: Flats are a teacher's best friend. I use to try and schelp around in heels when I first started teaching but my feet rebeled. Boy did I love it when flats made a come back. You can find some darn cute flats in every color with all sorts of embellishment. I could not live without my neutral cognac pair, but don't forget what a great pop of color flats can be! 

6. Flowy tops: Professional outfits can be a bit dowdy looking if the blouse is too stuffy. Call on my favorite gal Lauren Conrad (I like to call her LC--we are peeps ya know!) if you want a professional looking shirt for under a blazer or cardigan that has loads of style and fashion flair. LC adds just the right print and detail to her tops to make them not-so-ordinary. They are also light weight and breathable. 

7. Trouser/dress pants: I have a pair of these in every neutral color and they cycle through my teacher wardrobe enough to make somebody dizzy. They drape beautifully and look utterly professional whilst still being comfy. My favorites are from NY& Co but I just bought a pixie length pant from The Limited (they have leather trim...bah!) that I am head over heels in love with. Whether you like a straight length and cut or you prefer more of a trouser hem, these pants will be a work horse while you work. 

8. Gold accessories: Gold is in gals. Jump on the bandwagon if you have not already. Get yourself a layered gold set and wear it with everything. Tell people that ask you that I told you to. Its the perfect compliment to nearly every outfit. 

No comments: