Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A little note from a mom of four daughters...

This post has been heavy on my heart for quite some time. Like so many of you I am a mom. Being a mom is tough, tough work. Raising our children (boys or girls or both) in this dynamic, volatile culture can be extremely challenging. Some of you are also like me in that you have the unique challenge of raising ALL girls. I'm going to speak about this particular challenge in this post as it is all I know. Don't think for a minute that what I am saying also doesn't apply to raising boys...it very well might. However, I only know girls. I was one of the three girls growing up and I am raising four now. It's all I've got to go on.

Here is my dilemma~ How do you raise young ladies who place more value on their inner beauty than their outer beauty? How do you instill in them that it is fun and exciting to use makeup and be into fashion while at the same time teaching them to not let the outside define how they feel and who they are on the inside? They need to hear everyday that they are Daughters of the King and that their true value and ultimate worth belong in Him.

As you probably have already guessed, I enjoy fashion and beauty related endeavors. I have absolutely passed this on to my daughters (those that are old enough to wear or care). Know that I am totally fine with this. What I want to do though is ALSO pass on a legacy that lets them know that all of this is really and simply frivolous and has no real lasting power regarding things that really matter. It is a battle everyday and everywhere. I fear our culture--social media, movies, TV, books, etc.--does a better job at inundating them with the opposite philosophy. You must have the perfect body. Perfect hair. Perfect makeup. As long as you look good on the outside, who cares what turmoil is beneath the surface. Our culture tells them what feels good, IS good. What's easy must be what is right. This all scares me to death and makes me want to keep my daughters tucked away from the world. I am fully aware that there are no easy answers to my plight and will rely on prayer and Godly parenting to get me through. Let's join together and raise women who know their true worth and can have little fashion fun too!    Love you all!

Check out a video that really seized and convicted my heart~  


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really, really enjoyed this post. Thank you. I have one daughter and what you wrote about is on my a lot too. I think that it is all a balance. People have been adorning themselves for centuries. It is a human desire. The Romans did it. The Egyptians did it. Our ancestors used plants and clay with which to "paint" themselves. So I don't think that it is all that frivolous. Their must be a pyschological and emotional need that is met. Even animals groom themselves and at certain times show beautiful color or shapes. It is about presentation and confidence. But it was always about enhancing oneself. It wasn't about becoming someone else. It was ritual and bonding. It was spiritual . And that is where we cross the line, now. It is not inspirational ( to be the best that we can be ) but rather aspirational ( to attain something else altogether ). This is an important distinction to make to our daughters. I think that it is also important to have them appreciate something beautiful without actually having to possess it. This is true of material things too. I can appreciate a beautiful bag without having to own it. This goes hand in hand with showing them how beauty is different from culture to culture and time to time. In the end, there is nothing wrong in finding something joyful. When it crosses over into neuroticism and interferes with your thoughts and life, it is a whole other story. Anyway, thanks again !!!

kendra said...

I always knew I loved Rose.... ;)